One of my favorite day trips I’ve taken from Austin was a short 45-minute drive to Texas Hill Country Olive Co. in Dripping Springs. On a gorgeous, sunny Saturday afternoon, I enjoyed wine tasting, delicious cuisine from the bistro, live acoustic music, a tour of the olive orchard and the laid back relaxation we all hope to experience during our days off.
If you’ve never paid a visit to Texas Hill Country Olive Co., you’re in for a treat on April 5, 2014, when the Texas Olive Festival returns. In its second year, the 12-7 PM festival is perfect for dates, girls’ day out, families, and lone explorers.
Here’s what visitors will experience at the site of the only certified organic olive tree orchards in Texas:
- Wine from area vineyards like Duchman, Flat Creek Estate, Kerrville Hills and many more
- Food from The Oasis, Crepe Crazy, Celtic Seafare and many more
- Chef demos from Jack Gilmore (Jack Allen’s Kitchen), Lyndi Modica (The Art Institute of Texas), Ross Burtwell (Cabernet Grill) and Will Packwood (Hardie’s Gourmet Specialist)
- Olive education seminars
- Live music
- Short opera called Bon Appetit!, based on actual text from one of Julia Child’s best-loved television episodes
- Kids’ activities with bouncy house
Proceeds from ticket sales will support Austin’s Sustainable Food Center.
If you’ve caught the day trip bug and are ready to experience the beauty of Texas Hill Country Olive Co., you can purchase tickets at TexasOliveFest.com. You’ll save $10/tickets if you purchase in advance. Children 12 and under are free, and minors under 21 pay less for entry.
The festival will be located at 2530 W. Fitzhugh Rd. Dripping Springs, TX.
Have you ever visited an olive orchard? If so, where?
We always have unique content on the Austinot, and we love to give things away. You know, like CDs, event tickets and other cool stuff. We only send out our Best of the Austinot newsletter 2 times a month. It’s where we give you a recap of our best articles and where we give stuff away. Interested? Subscribe to Best of the Austinot here!