This guest blog article is by Kendra Wright.
Us Austinites get a pitter patter in our hearts and a lil’ extra pep in our step when we can shop local and funnel our hard-earned benjamins back into our community. From food trailers to mom & pop boutiques, we love to get behind the little guys.
As the holiday season approaches and you begin cracking open your wallets, the Austinot has found a way to stay true to our “go-local” mantra and point you toward high quality, original gifts for loved ones.
The Blue Genie Art Bazaar is one of Central Texas’ leading annual holiday happenings. The Chronicle calls it the “Best Show and Sell.” Over 140 local and regional artists present original works such as paintings, photography, prints, sculptures, jewelry, clothing, accessories, glasswork, ceramics and more. The event happens only once a year and is celebrated by locals and the artisans who attend.
Here are six reasons why the Blue Genie Art Bazaar is worth a visit this holiday season:
- No high pressure sales. Checkout is handled in one central location within the venue by the event staff. Shop at your leisure and enjoy a shopping experience that isn’t comparable to the running of the bulls.
- Excellent quality. All 140 artists are rigorously hand-selected by a jury. You can expect a wide range of beautiful and imaginative gifts to choose from.
- A variety of gifts and price points. From serious to quirky, you’ll find gifts in all mediums, at all price points.
- Adult beverages available. For those of age, enjoy access to a full bar at the event.
- Meet and discover local artists. Enjoy connecting with locally renowned artists during the Guest Artists Talks and uncover artists in your own backyard.
- Feel good about giving back: 10% of profits on December 9th, 16th and 23rd will be donated to Make-A-Wish Foundation of Central & South Texas.
The Blue Genie Art Bazaar is free and family-friendly. So pack up the kiddos and prepare to discover a mecca of talent and creativity from artists right here in Austin.
The event will be held at the Marchesa Hall and Theatre at 6226 Middle Fiskville Rd. in Austin. The show runs until Tuesday, December 24th (Christmas Eve) and hours are 10 AM-10 PM daily (6 PM on Christmas Eve). Don’t forget to bring your canvas bags!
Learn more on the Blue Genie Art Bazaar website.
Have you ever been to the Blue Genie Art Bazaar in Austin? What did you think?
Kendra enjoys brownies from the center of the pan and dominating her bucket list. When she isn’t hunting down all the weirdest adventures in Austin, she’s writing words at HeyKendra.com.