Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Click the Play button on the podcast player above to listen to this week’s episode of the Austinot Podcast!
It’s easy to get caught up in the daily routine. After coming home from a long day of work, sitting in front of the TV can seem like the best option. But making that into a habit means that you’re missing out on all that Austin has to offer! There are so many free or low-cost things for you to do in this wonderful city that are available to you all through the week.
Here is our list of 7 ways to make the most of Austin. Listen to our podcast episode for all the details
- Live music – Drive down to 6th St. or South Congress any night of the week, walk around a bit, and you’ll find some live music to like. All over town, there are little bars and clubs everywhere that feature live music. This is a great way to relax after a long day, by yourself or with friends.
- Museums – The Harry Ransom Center and the Blanton Museum of Art are both on the University of Texas campus. The Ransom Center is free all the time (donations accepted), and the Blanton is free every Thursday.
- Disc Golf – This is one of Eric’s favorite things to do! After spending $25 or so on a set of discs, this is a free outdoor activity. There are courses all over the city and Austin has a vibrant disc community – lots of people to teach, support and hang out with you!
- Mt. Bonnell – Despite the heat we have in Austin, there are all kinds of fun things to do outdoors. Among them is a climb up to Mt. Bonnell. What a beautiful view of Lake Austin! There are picnic tables and trails to explore and this spot is open seven days a week.
- Swimming holes – Last week’s podcast episode was on the best swimming holes in Texas. This is a fantastic, low-cost way to beat the heat!
- Day trips – Austin is surrounded by day trip spots. We cover Gruene and Wimberley in today’s episode.
- Meetups – Get out and meet people in Austin! There is no end of hobby-related or profession-related Meetups every month.
What would you add to our list? What do you like to do for fun in Austin?
Photo courtesy of StandUPP in Creative Commons.