Boston has chowder. Philly has cheesesteaks. Austin has food trucks. Mobile, independent and wonderfully weird, mobile eateries are what make this city different. To celebrate Austin’s diverse food truck offerings, Trailer Food Tuesdays is back at The Long Center for another summer season of good eats and great fun.
History of Yummy
Now in their fourth season, Trailer Food Tuesdays has been showcasing Austin’s food trailer heritage since 2012. The event was originally the brain child of influential “food-truckies” Eric Silverstein (The Peached Tortilla), Dan Stacy (The Seedling Truck) and famed food truck aficionado, author Tiffany Harelik.
In 2013, Tony Yamanaka of Food Trailers Austin was brought on board and the event blossomed. Last year, on the last Tuesday of every month, nearly 4,000 people hung out on the City Terrace of The Long Center to sample the best food on wheels that Austin has to offer.
This year, Trailer Food Tuesdays is packing in the goodness across three days, June 9th, July 7th and August 4th.
World Class Lineup
2015 marks the biggest vendor turnout ever with 15-19 trucks in attendance per day. These include:
- The Peached Tortilla – Classic southern comfort food with an Asian flair. Protip: Whether you get it in taco, burrito or bowl form, the banh mi (braised pork belly) is fantastic.
- Café Y’bor – Delicious array of Cuban style sandwiches makes this truck a must visit.
- ALC Steaks on Tour – The mobile version of Austin Land and Cattle doesn’t sacrifice flavor for convenience. Favorites like the steak frites and pulled pork sandwich are required eating.
- Dock & Roll – Channel your inner New Englander with the best selection of lobster rolls this side of the East Coast.
- Burro Cheese Kitchen – The king of all things grilled cheese, this Austinot favorite offers creative sandwiches guaranteed to blow your mind.
If you’re feeling thirsty, Real Ale Brewing is providing the suds for another year.
Keep in mind, this teaser list is only a small sampling of vendors making appearances over the three Trailer Food Tuesdays events this summer.
More Than Just Food
Thanks to a partnership with The Long Center, this year’s event will feature more than delicious food. The organizing team wanted each date to be a full experience with a number of fun, family friendly activities including:
- Lawn games
- The Typewriter Rodeo, a booth where local Austin writers create custom poetry for you and your family, typed on classic typewriters
- Test drives of electric bikes courtesy of Rocket Electrics
- Custom t-shirt screen printing
- Live music every evening on a brand new stage
Nothing speaks to the energy of Austin more than our food trailer culture. They’re culinary wizards, independent and free from the financial restrictions of traditional restaurants, doing what they love the best way they know how.
Trailer Food Tuesdays is a celebration of that entrepreneurial spirit and the incredible food it produces. And according to organizer Tony Yamanaka, the sky is the limit. He shared with me, “Our goal is to make this the premier food truck rally in the world. And with such a large community to draw from, there’s no reason we can’t.”
Entering their fourth year of food and fun at The Long Center, Trailer Food Tuesdays is a must attend event for anyone who wants to treat their taste buds to something deliciously different.
@BillTuckerTSP wants to know:
What’s your favorite Austin based food truck?