Beginning Acrylics with Artist Danika Ostrowski – 4 Week Live Online Course
Come learn the basics of color theory, learn how to mix hues, and paint the perfect landscape with acrylic artist, Danika Ostrowski.
If you’re interested in learning to paint but don’t know where to start, or if you have dabbled with acrylics but want more hands-on instruction, this class is for you! Learn how to paint the perfect landscape from Danika Ostrowski, studio artist online with The Cathedral.
This is a 4-week course, totaling 12 hours of instruction, starting Saturday, June 27 and repeating every Saturday until July 25, breaking for 4th of July. Class will run from 10:30am to 1:30pm. Materials available for curbside pick-up.
Over this 4-week course we will learn:
– Everything you need to know about the basics of acrylic painting
– The ins and outs of the supplies and materials you will be using
– Principles of a good painting composition
– Basics of color theory
– How to mix colors using a limited range of hues
– How to create depth in your paintings with layering and other techniques
– The importance of value and how to use it in your paintings
Leave this class with your first finished landscape painting and the knowledge to continue growing in your painting practice!
– Four sessions of 3-hour instruction, demo, and practice
– Limited class size for hands-on instruction
– All materials you will need during class, including paints, brushes, paper, canvas, and more.
– Optional projects to work on at home to continue your practice in-between the times we meet
Who is this course suitable for?
– Individuals who have little or no prior painting experience.
Discussion: Intro to materials and workspace + Basics of color theory
Instruction: Intro to acrylic paint mixing – learn to mix colors using only 5 tubes of paint
Project: Create a color wheel and neutral-color charts using your limited paint palette
Discussion: Intro to design principles and how to identify value in an image
Instruction: Demonstration of using a value-study to create a painting
Project: Use this understanding of value to create several studies of the same image using different colors
Discussion: How to create depth in landscape paintings
Instruction: Landscape painting demonstration
Project: Paint a landscape using acrylics on watercolor paper
Discussion: Final tips and techniques
Project: Guided instruction through final 12×16 painting on canvas
– Intro paint set – 5 tubes professional paint
– Intro brush set
– Palette Paper
– Watercolor paper
– Stretched Canvas
About the Instructor:
Landscape painter Danika Ostrowski lives and works in Austin, Texas developing her nationally-exhibited body of work and creating commissioned paintings. Her work takes her across the county to paint and find inspiration in public lands. Danika has been invited as an artist-in-residence to multiple National Parks and been identified as top emerging talent by Southwest Art magazine and Western Art Collector.