Guest article by Lindsey Moringy
SXSW is right around the corner, meaning our beloved Austin is about to explode with film premieres, pioneering technology and–most notably–lots and lots of music. While it may seem like an overwhelming, anxiety-inducing 10 days (don’t even think about trying the line for Franklin BBQ), it can also be a great opportunity to network, learn and experience new art.
Luckily, local legend Rock n Roll Rentals has some tips for making the most out of this year’s SXSW. They should know–they’ve been supplying Austin musicians with the best gear for over 25 years and just opened a second location on Burnet Road. Not to mention that pretty much everyone who works there is in a popular local band.
10 Tips for Surviving SXSW
“Don’t miss KUTX at The Four Seasons Hotel showcasing SXSW bands from March 18-21st, 9:30 AM- 1 PM. -Jim Norman, Rock n Roll Rentals owner
- “Wear comfortable shoes. There’s a lot of walking!” -Tomas Salazar of Rock n Roll Rentals and performance artist of LIZARAZO, performing at Plush during SXSW
- “Try to discover the music outside of downtown. The east side, Auditorium Shores, and places like Spiderhouse all have great showcases.” -William Glosup of Rock n Roll Rentals and member of up and coming band SHIVERY SHAKES, showcasing this year at Cheer Up Charlie’s
- “Don’t forget to RSVP for free events and get there early.” -Rene Chavez, Manager of Rock n Roll Rentals South and member of local favorite band ESTE VATO
- “Be sure to download the city bus schedule. Austin bus transportation is good.” -Jim Norman, Rock n Roll Rentals owner
- “Check out kid friendly events at the Mexican-American Cultural Center.” (Located just east of downtown on the banks of the Colorado River) -Oscar Reyna of Rock n Roll Rentals and guitarist/songwriter for local band Este Vato
- “Do as much planning as you can ahead of time. Once it starts, there’s no stopping to think.” -Craig Johnson, General Manager of Rock n Roll Rentals
- “Become a B-Cycle member! Beat the traffic and experience Austin on two wheels.” -Erik Camacho of Rock n Roll Rentals and member of local band THE MOONWALKS
- “Don’t forget to drink water. Seriously. Drink lots of water and eat some food.” -Davin Lawrence of Rock n Roll Rentals and DJ DeeHuck
- “Go check out new music. That’s what it’s all about. Find new bands you like and network with them. Make friends. Have fun.” -Craig Johnson, General Manager of Rock n Roll Rentals
For more details on the services available from Rock n Roll Rentals, check out their website at rocknrollrentals.com.
@theAustinot wants to know:
Are you a SXSW pro? Share your tips with our readers in a comment.
Lindsey is a native Austinite who loves all things local. In her spare time she enjoys running around Town Lake, eating Tex-Mex, and writing bios about herself.