I’m reluctant to admit how many hours I spent on Instagram to prepare this article. But I’ll tell you this: for once in my life, no one can accuse me of procrastinating. No, I wasn’t mindlessly scrolling through pictures on my phone; I was doing research!
As you check out these awesome, Austin-based Instagrammers, no one should dare accuse you of procrastinating, either. Just say you’re supporting local artists. Here’s who you should follow…
1/ For the Love of Austin: @thegoodinatx
One photographer showing all the good things in Austin. A different perspective on places you’ve seen hundreds of times.
For other photos of beautiful Austin, follow:
- @thevuvobandit: Photos of Austin by Chase Daniel, who captures nature, indoor spaces, and food with equal mastery.
- @igaustintx: Creative community of Austin-based photographers.
- @saneimpala: Photos of construction sites and more in Austin.
- @neonsignsoftexas: Photos of neon signs in Austin and across the state.
- @humansofaustx: Photos and stories of people living in Austin.
2/ For Spectacular Aerial Shots: @cvsherman
Ever wondered how Zilker Park looks from the top during ACL Music Fest? Or what’s inside the crown of Frost Bank Tower? Chris Sherman takes fantastic aerial photographs of Austin that showcase our beloved city from a new angle.
For other photos of Austin from above, follow:
- @jtype: Rooftop shots of Austin that will make your heart skip a beat.
- @jaredten: Bird’s eye view images of Austin and the world, by international photographer and videographer Jared Tennant.
3/ For Music Photos: @poonehghana
An Austin-based music photographer who travels the world with touring bands to photograph concerts, festivals, and behind-the-scenes moments.
4/ For Food Obsessions: @jesspryles
A hardcore carnivore, Jess Pryles knows everything there is to know about meat and BBQ. Born and raised in Australia, she found a home in Austin, where she resides now. Through her Instagram account, Jess Pryles shares tips and tricks for cooking meat, as well as BBQ recommendations.
For other food-obsessed Instagrammers, follow:
- @tacosoftexas: Photos of tacos, people making tacos, and people eating tacos, by the authors of the Taco Journalism blog. Satisfy your cravings for as long as it takes you to get in the car and drive to the taco joints they’re posting about.
- @letstacoboutitblog: Winner of Saveur Blog Awards 2017, Let’s Taco Bout It is the creation of Mica and Charlotte, who share a passion for food and literature. In their Austin-based kitchen, they recreate recipes inspired by books.
- @shelbysorrel: Photos of food, beautiful spaces, and happy people. This account will be one of the most colorful in your feed.
5/ For Craft Beer @bigwrldsmallgrl
Caitlin, creator of Big World Small Girl, dives into Austin’s craft beer world and comes up with some amazing suggestions for your weekend nights out, as well as stories from people in the industry.
For other beer-related photos, stories, and news, follow:
- @craftbeeraustin: Rich and Irina Plakas head Austin’s source for craft beer news and events.
➡️ Keep reading: “Check Out 17 of the Most Insta-worthy Places in Austin”
6/ For Cute Animals and the Sake of Helping Them: @austinwildliferescue
Austin Wildlife Rescue rehabilitates and releases orphaned, sick, or injured wild animals, and educates the public on how to coexist with wildlife in our area.
If you like photos of animals and helping them, too, follow:
- @austinpetsalive: One of Austin’s most beloved non-profit organizations, helping people help pets.
- @ruffadventuresatx: Dog adventure photographer on a mission to end pet overpopulation.
- @zilkerbark: Beautiful photos of Austin’s dogs and their stories.
7/ For Stunning Local Art: @atxfaf_official
Free Art Friday gives you a chance to take home a free piece of art created by a local artist…if you manage to find it! Artists hide their works in the city every Friday and give clues on their Instagram accounts.
For other images of local art, follow:
- @aftpgallery: Art gallery and artisan market promoting Austin artists.
- @spratx: Some of the best paintings and murals created by local artists.
- @austinartexperience: Daily dose of local art, including paintings, illustrations, and sculptures.
- @artallianceaustin: Austin Art Alliance helps to connect Austin’s contemporary art community with Austinites.
8/ For Parenting Tips: @jacks_mom_in_austin
Adriana is a super mama and creator of Jack’s Mom in Austin. On her Instagram account, she shares photos of her two beautiful kids, real stories of what it’s like to be a mom of two in a modern world, and tips on what to do and where to go with kids in Austin.
For other parenting tips from Austin-based moms, follow:
- @thecraftblog: Jamie Dorobek, mom of two, who’s creating really awesome fun things (C.R.A.F.T.) and teaching others how to do the same.
- @lifeanchored: Lani, mom of two, shares her journey raising kids in Austin.
- @marymakesgood: Mary Helen Leonard shares lifestyle photos and stories, focused on natural living, family, and womanhood.
- @gocourtneygo: Courtney travels around the U.S.A. and the world with her son.
9/ For Shots of Austin and Beyond: @jackieleeyoung
Jackie Lee Young creates insanely beautiful photos with a focus on music, travel and fashion. Her portraits are like nothing you’ve ever seen before.
For other travel photos of Austin and all around the world follow:
- @ginobarasa: Bright and colorful photos of Austin and cities all over the U.S.A. by Austinite Gino Barasa.
- @thefoodiemiles: I love to learn about new cultures and their people through the food they eat, and I share my favorite discoveries on my own Instagram account.
10/ For the Best Local Things to Do and Eat: @the_austinot
It goes without saying that we’d love to connect with you via The Austinot Instagram account! We love to share wonderful Austin discoveries, including food, drink, activities, events, and local businesses. Remember, we only write about hyperlocal: things originally founded here in Austin.
@theAustinot wants to know:
In your opinion, which Austin-based Instagram accounts are worth following?
We always have unique content on the Austinot, and we love to give things away. You know, like CDs, event tickets and other cool stuff. We only send out our Best of the Austinot newsletter two times/month. It’s where we give you a recap of our best articles and give stuff away. Interested? Subscribe to Best of the Austinot here!