Giving feels good. It’s a universal awesome, especially when you expect nothing in return. But finding a worthy cause can be difficult. Enter I Live Here, I Give Here, Austin’s premier resource for finding and funding local non-profits. And with their yearly extravaganza, The Big Give, right around the corner, there’s never been a better time to find a charity in Austin to love.
I Live Here, I Give Here
But before we can talk about the big shindig, we need to recognize the minds behind it. Event host, I Live Here, I Give Here, has been promoting local non-profits since 2007. The organization (a non-profit itself) works on behalf of charitable organizations to provide a “one stop shop” for Austinites to connect with hundreds of non-profits. The result is a marketplace of worthy causes for donors to choose from.
In 2013, I Live Here, I Give Here introduced Amplify Austin, an annual 24-hour blitzkrieg of non-stop giving. By combining the urgency of a telethon with the convenience of choosing from 500 non-profits, Amplify Austin’s results have been nothing short of astounding. So far this year:
- Austin Pets Alive raised $90,211 during their campaign. That’s enough to save the lives of over 360 dogs and cats.
- The Health Alliance for Austin Musicians raised $121,046 in support of health care for local artists.
- Thanks to the $40,000 raised by Communities in Schools, 32 students can receive dropout prevention services for an entire year.
- Austin Playhouse raised over $73,000 during the 24 hour Amplify Austin campaign.
- The money raised by Meals on Wheels will provide 40,000 meals to needy people.
The Big Give
Around for as long as the organization itself, The Big Give is one of I Live Here, I Give Here’s biggest fundraisers. The centerpiece of this year’s gala is a silent auction featuring the best Austin has to offer. Highlights of the August 28, 2015 event include:
- Table décor courtesy of East Austin Succulents (available to take home for a donation).
- Nail art courtesy of Nail’s Y’all.
- Music provided by DJ Will Bridges.
- Local band The Motts will be playing live.
- Renowned local street artist Mike Johnston will be painting a one-of-a-kind mural that will be available for bidding during the auction.
- Games, a photo booth and much more!
The event will also be honoring some of Austin’s most prolific givers. I Live Here, I Give Here will be presenting the Patsy Wood Martin BIG Giver award to David B. Weaver of Volunteer Legal Services, an organization dedicated to providing lower income clients access to free legal advice and representation.
The hosts will also present the RetailMeNot Nonprofit award, a $5,000 cash prize given to an exceptional local non-profit.
With an eye towards service and a heart for community, I Live Here, I Give Here is a wonderful organization dedicated to helping extraordinary causes. The Big Give is a celebration of that charity and a wonderful event for Austin givers everywhere. Yes, giving feels good. Giving with others feels even better.
The Big Give will take place on August 28, 2015 at Hyatt Regency Austin. Tickets start at $120 and can be purchased on the official website. All proceeds go towards I Live Here, I Give Here’s charitable programs.
@BillTuckerTSP wants to know:
What local non-profits do you support?
We always have unique content on the Austinot, and we love to give things away. You know, like CDs, event tickets and other cool stuff. We only send out our Best of the Austinot newsletter two times/month. It’s where we give you a recap of our best articles and give stuff away. Interested? Subscribe to Best of the Austinot here!