The Austinot is seeking an individual who loves grammar and shares our passion for Austin, TX. This person will be responsible for all articles published by The Austinot – guiding each article from start to finish. The Editor will be at the heart of The Austinot’s publishing operations.
- Edit every article (usually 1-4 per week) for style, syntax, diction, punctuation, format, spelling, tone, and consistency.
- Approve topics pitched by writers, and ensure all articles do not stray from The Austinot’s hyperlocal focus.
- Coordinate with writers to organize and maintain a publishing calendar.
- Act as final say to determine when each article is ready to be published, and schedule each article according to the publishing calendar.
- Update (or coordinate updates with writers) and republish older articles in lieu of new articles.
- Determine which articles are displayed on the website home page, and update the home page after each article is published (when needed).
- Set keywords, meta-descriptions, image alternative text, and other SEO data for all blog articles.
- Implement an SEO strategy to grow pageviews.
- Maintain The Austinot’s writing style guide.
- Approve and moderate comments for all website articles.
- Approve event submissions and maintain the Austin events calendar.
- Experience with a reputable and well-known local Austin blog.
- Exposure to many local businesses and organizations in the Austin area.
- Free food & products from local Austin restaurants and businesses.
- Occasional free invites to events in the Austin area.
- Fun events and hangouts with the Austinot team.
- Influence over a large Austin-based audience (50k-100k+ pageviews per month).
- In-depth knowledge of grammar and the English language.
- Familiarity with editorial best practices.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Experience with WordPress preferred.
- Knowledge of SEO best practices preferred.
- College degree (English, Journalism, Communications, or other related majors preferred, but not required).