Okay, so it isn’t Cheers. But whenever I’ve been to the Corner Bar in Austin, I’ve found that feel of familiarity. Customers are frequently greeted by name, and even new patrons are welcomed as if they had been there several times before.
Corner Bar is a small location in the growing South Lamar area, but the atmosphere is always friendly and welcoming.
Corner Bar Austin is Always Open
Don’t ever worry about them being closed either; they’re open every day of the year. As of this writing, Corner Bar has never had a day off and they plan to keep it that way.
John Flynn, one of three managing partners, said, “We want people to know that – no matter what – they can always come to Corner Bar.”
The Corner Bar is all about their customers. John added that they have three distinct crowds that they do their best to cater to:
- The Happy Hour Crowd
- The 10-11 PM Crowd
- The 11pm-2am Closers Crowd
I have to say that after talking with John and some of the patrons, I can see why people keep coming back.
Most bars open up with an idea of who their target clientele will be. Corner Bar did it differently. They let their clientele show up and decide what kind of bar they wanted out of Corner Bar. From what is shown on their eight televisions, to what type of music is playing, the owners at Corner Bar are happy to accommodate their customers.
10 Things You Should Know About Corner Bar
- Hours are Monday through Thursday 4 PM to 2 AM, Friday 3 PM to 2 AM, and Saturday/Sunday noon to 2 AM.
- There is never a cover.
- One of the managing partners is also part owner of the Geisha Room on 6th Street.
- If you come to their Trivia night with a group of four people or more, Corner Bar will buy your group a pizza from Austin Pizza. Trivia is on Tuesday and goes from 8-10 PM. They also have prizes for the winning teams. Texas Tuesdays boasts some pretty good drink specials too, including: $3 Titos, $4 Firefly, $4 Fireball, $2 Lonestar and PBR, $5 Republic Tequila and $5 Roxor Gin.
- Whisky Wednesday: More drink specials, and live music starts around 9 PM.
- On Sunday, they have Sunday Funday starting around 3 PM. They offer free BBQ until it is gone, and Sunday is their most popular night.
- Popular local Austin Artist Willam K. Stidham’s artwork is featured all around the bar.
- They have free Wi-Fi.
- During football season, they carry the NFL and college games.
- Corner Bar is dog-friendly. Yep, you can bring Fluffy right into the bar. They’ll give her a water dish.
We enjoyed meeting with John and company at Corner Bar, and look forward to checking them out on a Sunday night ourselves for some of that BBQ.
Invite The Austinot to Check Out Your Local Austin Business
What is your favorite bar in Austin and why?